Choosing the right cutting board for your kitchen needs careful consideration. As one of the most essential tools for food preparation, the price of your cutting board is not the only factor that matters. The size, thickness, material, maintenance, durability, safety, and sanitation all play an important role when it comes to your choices.
It is recommended that you need to have at least two cutting boards: plastic and wood. Whereas the plastic variety is preferred for raw meat, wood products are best for slicing fruits and vegetables. Wood types are known for being less likely to be scarred by your cutting tools; you can even use them as stylish plates for the bar! For your convenience, plastic boards can be placed inside a dishwasher for cleaning, while wood boards need to be hand washed with mild detergent and water.
With so many options available in the market, it can be difficult to find the right one for your kitchen. This comprehensive guide, complete with the key features, pros, and cons of ten top-of-the-line cutting boards, will help you make an informed choice.
Buyer’s Guide to Best Cutting Boards
No chef’s station is complete without the perfect set of cutting boards that can meet all the demands of sanitation and varied food preparation procedures. Since not all products are created equally, you need to know the type of cutting board that will best suit your budget, prepping and cooking habits, and even style.
Depending on the kind of food you are planning to prepare, and the knife you are using, there are cutting boards that are designed for specific purposes, from light dicing and mincing to heavy-duty chopping. Cutting boards with handles offer easy transportation of ingredients from your prepping station to the stove. Those with grooves on the sides provide spaces that will collect juices from raw meat, vegetables, and fruits. Antimicrobial wooden boards are also available to ensure cleanliness and safety. For best results, you may need separate pieces to avoid dangerous cross-contamination when chopping meat and dicing vegetables. Furthermore, if you are interested in something attractive, there are stylishly made boards that will complement the look and feel of your kitchen. With that said, there are indeed plenty of things that make each cutting board unique.
To save you time in searching, and to make it easier for you to narrow down your choices to the product that will definitely suit your preferences, here is a list of the 10 most outstanding cutting boards that are worth adding to your kitchen essentials.
Understand Many Types of Cutting Boards
Cutting boards are categorized based on the material of which they are made. Each one has its own strengths and weaknesses, and owning two or more types is essential for flexibility and variety. The seven types include:
- Plastic: Made from polyethylene (PE) or high-density polyethylene plastic (HDPE), this type is the most recommended cutting board by professional chefs. It may not come with inherent antimicrobial properties, but it can take harsher cleaning methods, such as rinsing them with bleach and other disinfectants. For your convenience, you can wash them in the sink or run them through the dishwasher. Although it is prone to easily have knife marks, a plastic cutting board can handle sharper knives and heavier chopping, and is perfect for cutting pork, beef, and other raw meat.
- Check Out: Best Plastic Cutting Boards Review
- Wood: Unlike the plastic variety, wood contain natural antimicrobial properties. It is also self-healing when it comes to knife cuts and scores. The durability of wooden boards depend on the type of timber used, the tightness of its grain, and its pores. Teak, maple, and beech are great choices, as their resins prevent warping, fungi growth, microbes, and moisture. To make wooden chopping boards last long, you need to regularly maintain them with edible mineral, and wash them by hand. Your knives will also be sharper as wood doesn’t dull them.
- Check Out: Best Wood Cutting Boards Review
- Bamboo: Bamboo is known as the most sanitary type of cutting board due to its ability to absorb less moisture. Thus, bacteria It is also the most environmentally friendly, since this hard grass can be grown and harvested without chemicals, and is a renewable and sustainable material. Typically, this type of cutting board needs to be primed and maintained with mineral oil to avoid splitting. Attractive, easy to wash, and can naturally close up knife grooves, a set of bamboo cutting boards can also serve as a stylish kitchen and bar companion.
- Check Out: Best Bamboo Cutting Board Review
- Glass: Easy to clean and low maintenance, you can wash glass cutting boards by hand or dishwasher. However, they are not as kind to knives as the other types due to their tendency to wear the edges.
- Check Out: Best Glass Cutting Boards Review
- Steel: Cutting boards made of steel has the advantage of being durable, heat resistant, and easy to wash, but they also have the tendency to damage knife blades like the glass types.
- Rubber: Rubber pads are becoming popular cutting boards in restaurants. They are priced as much as high-quality wooden boards, and they can also withstand chemical disinfectants. Unlike other cutting boards that require a piece of wet cloth for stability, rubber ones are heavy enough to prevent slippage.
- Silicone: Silicone cutting boards are heat-resistant, contains antibacterial and self-healing properties, and are blade-friendly.
- Maple: The naturally attractive Hard Rock Maple or Sugar Maple is considered as “the workhorse of the maple family”. The dense and solid wood makes it resistant to shock and damage, offering durability and cost-efficiency. It is also known as the most popular wood used for cutting boards. Native to North America, this tree species is a renewable resource, abundant throughout Canada and the upper Midwest of the United States. Aside from its sustainability, maple is certified to be clean for kitchen use, approved by the National Sanitation Foundation (NSF). Like other wood options, it also inhibits harmful bacteria through a process known as capillary action, which absorbs the bacteria, cuts off the microbes’ oxygen supply, and killing them in the process.
- Check Out: Best Maple Cutting Boards Review
- End Grain: The gorgeous, distinctive checkerboard pattern of end grain cutting boards isn’t only meant for aesthetic purposes, but also for longevity. Because the grain runs vertically, instead of the common horizontal style, the design actually makes this type of cutting board more durable, and gentler on your knives’ blades, even the sharpest ones. When you cut on the surface, the grain splits apart. When you lift your blade, the fibers simply fall back into their place. This closing action makes the material self-healing and scratch-resistant, thus, cutting and chopping only leave fainter marks on end grain boards compared to other surfaces.
- Check Out: Best End Grain Cutting Boards Review
- Butcher Block: This type of cutting board has been used for centuries. A butcher’s block is a piece of assembled maple, teak, or walnut wood that has been invented for heavy-duty and high-demand chopping, typically used for cutting large chunks of meat in butcher shops and meat processing plants. It has also become popular for food preparation at home, with many butcher blocks available on the market. They are bigger and heavier than other cutting boards. Aside from the weight and size, they also vary in the kind of material used; some are made of end-grain, while others are from edge-grain. If your food requires a lot of quartering, filleting, chopping, and deboning, a butcher’s block is highly recommended; other cutting boards may not be able to handle the force that these tasks entail.
- Check Out: Best Butcher Block Cutting Boards Review
- Personalized cutting boards: As the name suggests, it can be made from any kind of material: bamboo, maple, and more. This type of cutting boards is great for gifts for any occasion because they can be customized to fit your style, demands, and personal preferences. Some of the things you can do to individualize your cutting board is by monogramming or engraving words or names on it. What makes this type of cutting board more valuable is that they are also usually hand-crafted to fit your needs. Personalized, they can have sentimental value as well.
- Check Out: Best Personalised Cutting Boards Review
Top 10 Best Cutting Boards Review
10. Best ORGANIC Bamboo Cutting Board – FDA Approved for Your Safety
Slice, mince, dice, chop, and carve any type of ingredient with this beautiful bamboo cutting board, butcher block, and serving tray! Made from organic Moso bamboo, this all-natural product has inherent antibacterial properties that inhibit the growth of harmful microbes, and prevent staining and odor. It also includes a lifetime warranty.
9. Microban Antimicrobial Cutting Board Lime Green – 11.5×8 inch
This Uniware cutting board is perfect for chefs who puts health as their top priority. It comes in vibrant lime green, and its versatile working space allows you to cut small to large ingredients. Since Microban is the most reliable bacteria-prevention product, this cutting board is less likely to obtain stains and odor from microorganisms. Plus, it’s ultra durable.
8. Seville Classics Bamboo Cutting Board with 7 Removable Cutting Mats
Aside from having the great qualities of a bamboo cutting board, you don’t need to own two or more cutting boards for separate slicing tasks with this product. This beautiful bamboo board houses 7 vibrant, BPA-free cutting mats, which you can simply switch out and place on the surface area whenever you need to chop, dice, mince, or slice various ingredients! Avoiding cross-contamination has never been this easy.
7. Kitchen Gizmo 2 Sided TPU Anti-Bacterial Cutting Board, Thick Yet Flexible, Knife Friendly, Scratch Resistant, Juice Groove, Dishwasher Safe
This innovative TPU cutting board has all you need for heavy cutting tasks. With two color-coded sides, this design allows you to dedicate a separate surface for slicing, dicing, mincing, and chopping different types of ingredients to avoid cross-contamination.
A great addition to your kitchen, this Heim Concept Quality cutting boards are strong and durable while being lightweight. Made from the highly sustainable Moso bamboo, this board is not only attractive, but it also has antimicrobial properties for food safety. The grooves prevent juices from the dripping, helping you keep your kitchen counter free from harmful bacteria. Want to serve bread, cheese, and pastries? Just flip the board and place the treats on the smooth side.
5. Zenware 3 Piece Triple-Ply Warp Resistant All Natural Bamboo Cutting Board Set – Small
Bamboo is known to be resilient, good-looking, and antimicrobial. It is also self-replenishing, and is one of the most renewable resources in the planet. All the qualities of the hard grass can be found in this Zenware 3-Piece Triple-Ply set.
4. Dutis 3-Piece Dishwasher Safe Plastic Cutting Board Set with Non-Slip Feet and Drip Juice Groove, White with Lime Green
Don’t be fooled by this lightweight 3-Piece Dutis® Cutting Board Set; it is durable, will not warp when cleaned in the dishwasher, and will not dull your cutting tools. Made from nonporous and odor-resistant plastic, the pieces come in small, medium, and large sizes to give you room for freedom and flexibility when cutting fish, meat, fruits, and vegetables. They are also equipped with drip grooves that will take care of the liquids from your ingredients.
3. CounterArt Flexible Cutting Mat with Food Icons, Set of 4
Be ready for any slicing, mincing, chopping, and dicing task with this set of Counterpart cutting mats. With four vibrant colors and adorable food icons, this set lets you avoid cross-contamination the fun and colorful way. Use the blue one for fish, red for beef, yellow for chicken, and green for veggies. They are also flexible, allowing you to roll them up to save storage space, or even use them as a funnel to pour contents without spilling the ingredients.
2. OXO Good Grips Utility Cutting Board
Prepare all sorts of dishes with this durable OXO Good Grips cutting board. Designed with a white surface and black sides, this cool, clean board has juice grooves for retaining juices. To avoid cross-contamination, you can use the grooved area for chopping raw meat, and the solid side for slicing vegetables. It is easy to wash as it is dishwasher safe, and is resistant to odor. Made from durable polypropylene, this cutting board won’t dull your cutlery or be easily scratched by them. Plus, the handles provide a good grip when transferring ingredients from one place to another!
1. Totally Bamboo 3 Piece Bamboo Cutting Board Set, For Meat & Veggie Prep, Serve Bread, Crackers & Cheese, Cocktail Bar Board
Why only have one, when you can have three? The three pieces provide variety and flexibility. If you need a board for slicing large ingredients, such as meat, you can depend on the 9 ½” by 13″ to do the job. For medium-sized food, you can prepare them using the 8 ½” by 11″ or the 6″ by 8″ boards – perfect for fruits and vegetables. Having a cocktail party? You can serve cheeses and breads in all three.
Chopping boards indeed come in so many different types, sizes, and properties. Carefully considering each product will help you find the perfect board for your home cooking or profession, whether you are looking for a bamboo cutting board, a plastic one, or otherwise. This guide features only the best picks for your convenience, budget, safety, and peace of mind.