When it comes to cutting boards, wooden ones outperform plastic and glass varieties in many areas. They halt the growth of bacteria, including those that can cause food poisoning, which means you have an extra line of defense in the kitchen. Not only that, wood cutting boards will not dull knives.
Whereas plastic boards become knife-scarred in a short time, and glass ones require handling delicacy, wooden options will have no trouble taking average to heavy cutting and food preparation work. Plus, they often look great enough to serve as fashionable plates!
Indeed there is much to be said in favor of cutting boards made of wood, but the products currently available in the market are not all created equal. Here is a detailed guide to make your shopping less of a headache.
Check Out: Best Cutting Board Review
- Buyer’s Guide to Best Wood Cutting Boards
- Top 10 Best Wood Cutting Boards Review
- 10. Large End Grain Prep Station, Acacia Wood
- 9. 4-piece Bamboo Cutting Board Set: Four Convenient Wood Sizes
- 8. Premium Organic Bamboo [HEIM CONCEPT] Extra Large Cutting Board and Serving Tray with Drip Groove
- 7. Architec Gripperwood Gourmet Sheesham Cutting Board, 10 by 15-Inch
- 6. Somarian Acacia Wood Chopping Board, Large
- 5. Mountain Woods Acacia Hardwood End Grain Cutting Board with Juice Groove
- 4. Farberware Classic 3-Piece Bamboo Cutting Board and Serving Set, Assorted Sizes
- 3. John Boos Chop-N-Slice Maple Wood Reversible Cutting Board, 20″ x 15″x 1.25 Inch
- 2. Extra Large Bamboo Cutting Board – 18×12 Thick Strong Bamboo Wood Cutting Board
- 1. Totally Bamboo 3 Piece Bamboo Cutting Board Set, For Meat & Veggie Prep, Serve Bread, Crackers & Cheese, Cocktail Bar Board
- Check Out Other Types of Cutting Board
Buyer’s Guide to Best Wood Cutting Boards
Choosing the best wood cutting board is a matter of determining the type that fits your needs the most. The thicker and denser the panels, the more suited they are for difficult kitchen jobs. You also have to consider your budget. Face and edge grains are more on the pocket-friendly side and will work great in regular household kitchens. End-grain boards are pricier but will be a great addition to any chef’s kitchen.
Consider as well the type of wood. Great choices include bamboo, acacia, hard maple, cherry, and walnut. There is also the design to think about. Some come with feet while others are flat panels. It is ideal to avoid feet for thinner boards as this can lead to stability issues. Cutting boards come in different shapes and sizes too. Rectangular, circular, and square ones are quite common and can serve both utility and decorative functions. More creatively shaped options are available as well.
Overall, have a good look at your kitchen’s needs and let this guide you in the buying process. To make things even simpler, here is a rundown of the top 10 best wood cutting boards worth looking into.
Top 10 Best Wood Cutting Boards Review
10. Large End Grain Prep Station, Acacia Wood
Weighing only at approximately eight pounds, this cutting board will not be too hard to move and clean, ensuring flexibility in the kitchen. It is designed well, with the contrasting natural patterns adding beauty and art to what is typically considered a utilitarian implement. Purchasing this means you will be the proud owner of a multi-functional board – a chopping block, prep station, and serving plate all in one.
9. 4-piece Bamboo Cutting Board Set: Four Convenient Wood Sizes
Aside from all of that, these boards are quite sturdy and will not trouble you at all come cleaning time. The small one is great for more delicate cutting and chopping work, such as for trimmings and decorative purposes. The bigger boards, meanwhile, will do excellently for regular kitchen work, including chopping and cutting meat, fish, and larger vegetables.
8. Premium Organic Bamboo [HEIM CONCEPT] Extra Large Cutting Board and Serving Tray with Drip Groove
Since this board is extra large and has a drip groove, preparing food will be less messy. Flip it over and you can use the reverse side as a pastry board. Overall, whether you are cutting up steak or trimming tomatoes for plating decoration, this board can handle everything. It will not dull or damage your knives as well. Best of all, it is made of bamboo, which naturally neutralizes bacteria from food.
7. Architec Gripperwood Gourmet Sheesham Cutting Board, 10 by 15-Inch
Sheesham wood is able to naturally resist bacteria, which is great since food cleanliness and safety are always a primary concern. Flexibility and stability are guaranteed as well through the boards large-enough dimensions and non-slip corner feet. When it comes to cleaning time, all you need to do is quickly wash this board and you are done.
6. Somarian Acacia Wood Chopping Board, Large
It provides even more versatility through its multipurpose design – one side has a groove to catch drips and ingredient juices, while the other side is smooth and is perfect for more delicate cutting work. It looks beautiful no matter where you place it, and that is why many users use it as a serving board as well. Since it is made of acacia wood, you can rest assured that this board will last a long time.
5. Mountain Woods Acacia Hardwood End Grain Cutting Board with Juice Groove
Its size and thickness are more than appropriate for a wide variety of cutting and chopping activities. Whether you are fileting a fish or slicing a watermelon, this board will serve your purposes with finesse. It is stable enough so you don’t have to worry about sliding and slipping. To top all of that off, this board is simply beautiful, exactly what you would expect from master craftsmen.
4. Farberware Classic 3-Piece Bamboo Cutting Board and Serving Set, Assorted Sizes
3. John Boos Chop-N-Slice Maple Wood Reversible Cutting Board, 20″ x 15″x 1.25 Inch
It is thick enough to give you that solid feel, and you don’t have to worry about stability. Since it has a reversible design, it doesn’t matter which flat surface you use. Come cleaning time, simply give this board a quick hand washing and you’re good to go. It is highly reliable and will be a great partner for you when it is time to slice and dice those meats and vegetables.
2. Extra Large Bamboo Cutting Board – 18×12 Thick Strong Bamboo Wood Cutting Board
Since this board is made of bamboo, it is quite resilient as well. Plus, it does not harbor bacteria, which ensures the safety of the food you prepare. To give you that extra convenience, it has a drip groove design that will take the mess out of food preparation. And with its natural light wooden hue, you will have a pretty cutting board on your countertop!
1. Totally Bamboo 3 Piece Bamboo Cutting Board Set, For Meat & Veggie Prep, Serve Bread, Crackers & Cheese, Cocktail Bar Board
If you need a board to cut large ingredients, the 9 ½” by 13″ will be of great help. Want a board for regular home cooking or maybe to double up as a stylish and contemporary serving plate? The 8 ½” by 11″ board is perfect for the job. How about for trimming fruits and vegetables or mincing garnishes? The 6″ by 8″ will not disappoint. And you can also use all three to serve breads, cheeses, and cocktail fare to guests!
Check Out Other Types of Cutting Board
Wooden cutting boards are certainly a great choice. However, if for one reason or another, a wood board does not cut it in your kitchen, here are your other options.