A vacuum cleaner is a must-have item for every home. It helps you keep your house free from dust, pet hair and other unwanted particles. There are lots of floor cleaners in the market. If you want to purchase a new vacuum for your bare floors or high pile carpet then you must make an informed decision before parting with your money.
Whether you decide on the best handheld vacuum or the best canister vacuum will depend on many factors like your budget and need. Fortunately, there are various types of vacuum cleaners to explore including, robot vacuums, cordless vacuums, stick vacuums, and upright vacuums.
This buyer’s guide will aid you with valuable information when buying a vacuum cleaner to ensure you get the best. Read to the end!
What Are Vacuum Cleaners?
A vacuum cleaner, also known as a vacuum sweeper or hoover, is a household appliance that uses suction to remove dust and other particles from floors, carpets, upholstery, low pile rugs, high pile rugs, hardwood floors and bare floors.
Hoovers are fitted with an electric motor which sucks in those particles into a bag or canister.
How Are Vacuum Cleaners Used?
If you’re in the market for a new vacuum cleaner, it’d be best to know the different kinds of vacuum cleaners and their uses so you can buy the right vacuum for your needs.
Handheld vacuums are small but incredibly powerful cleaners for cleaning narrow spots and cars. They’re also good for cleaning pet hair.
Cordless Vacuum and Corded Vacuum
Corded vacuums are attached to cords so they last longer, while cordless vacuums seem easier to maintain since they have no cords attached.
Robot vacuums are state-of-the art vacuum cleaners loved for their convenience. You can program them to work on their own.
The upright vacuum cleaner is a versatile vacuum cleaner for collecting dust from various surfaces. They come in both bagged vacuum or bagless vacuum forms and often contain HEPA filtration devices. Most come with large dust canisters, good for high pile carpet and low pile carpet.
Stick vacuums are a blend of handheld vacuums and upright vacuums. The vacuum head can be angled to get the most results. It’s also quite thorough in cleaning high pile carpet and low pile carpet. It has bagged vacuum and bagless vacuum options and can have HEPA filtration attached.
Reviews of the Best Vacuum Cleaners in 2022
Best Robot Vacuum: iRobot Roomba s9
- Robot vacuum with Automatic Dirt Disposal
- Weight: 8.5 Ibs
- Dimensions: 12.25 inches width, 3.5 inches high
- Battery type: Lithium ion
- Recommended for carpet use
The iRobot Roomba s9 is a robot vacuum that has a powerful suction power that can extract dirt and pet hair from your carpets. It’s the best robot vacuum cleaner equipped with a state of the art vSLAM navigation that you can control from anywhere in your home with your smartphone.
- The iRobot Roomba S9 has a powerful suction which helps it deep clean your pile carpets.
- This vacuum cleaner has a Clean Base Automatic Dirt Disposal that enables it empty itself.
- The robot vacuum can quickly clean up instant messes immediately they occur. All you need to do is make a command through your Google Assistant or Alexa.
- It’s the best robot vacuum cleaner for cleaning out edges with its specially made corner brush.
- The iRobot Roomba s9 is the people’s favorite because it’s a smart vacuum cleaner, making it a great fit for your cleaning schedule.
- The iRobot Roomba S9 is one of the most expensive robot vacuum models in the market.
- This robot vacuum is quite noisy.
- The iRobot has a battery life of about 2 hours which may not be enough for you given the size of your house.
The iRobot Roomba S9 is equipped with corner brushes that can clean out tight spaces and corners. These brushes don’t get tangled in pet hair. You can set this robot vac to clean at specific times so it’s great for everyday cleaning.
Best Cordless Vacuum: Dyson V10 Allergy Cordless Stick Vacuum Cleaner
- Stick vacuum and Handheld vacuum
- Torque Drive cleaner head
- Suction Power: 151Aw
- Weight:11.08 pounds
- Dimensions: 49.2 x 10.2 x 9.5 inches
- Battery life can last for up to 60 minutes
The Dyson V10 Allergy Cordless Stick Vacuum Cleaner is a versatile vacuum cleaner usable as a stick vacuum and a handheld vacuum. It’s one of the best cordless vacuums as the box comes with a charger and docking station, a mini dusting brush, a crevice tool, and a direct drive cleaner head.
- The Dyson V10 has an excellent suction power which traps in fine dust particles, dirt, and pet hair in the canister
- This vacuum is one of the Dyson vacuums that can easily absorb sound vibrations so the sound levels it emits while you use it isn’t high
- The high power mode has a more powerful suction power
- The high power mode is louder than the normal mode
- The battery lasts for only one hour, which might not be sufficient if you have a large house
- The high power mode only lasts for about 7 minutes
- The Dyson V10 cordless vac is expensive
The Dyson V10 is one of the best cordless models in the market presently. It is an excellent choice for pet owners because of its powerful suction power. This cordless stick vacuum is excellent for floor cleaning especially for people allergic to pet hair and pollen.
Bissell 1161 Deluxe Canister Vacuum
- Dimensions: 10.67 x 13.15 x 8.66 inches
- Weight: 9.10 Lbs
- Dusting brush and canister included
The Bissell 1161 is a canister vacuum cleaner that is excellent for cleaning hardwood floors, area rugs, and other delicate surfaces. It has rubber wheels that enable it to delicately clean these surfaces easily. It’s also an excellent crevice tool for everyday cleaning of your home’s nooks and corners.
- The Bissell 1161 has rubber wheels with felt threads which makes it perfect for cleaning drapes and upholstery tools. It can easily clean pet hair
- It’s a compact and lightweight canister vacuum making it easy to use and store
- It’s an excellent corded vacuum as it has fingertip control making it easy for you to easily increase or reduce the suction power
- It has less noise than other kinds of vacuums
- It’s a budget vacuum, not as expensive as others
- It has a short power cord
- The filter can easily get clogged, thereby affecting the suction
The Bisell 1161 canister vacuum is a corded vacuum that is lightweight, making it easily movable. It doesn’t generate lots of noise and is excellent for cleaning a variety of surfaces – hardwood floors, tile floors, rugs, pile carpets and even upholstery tools.
Best Upright Vacuum: Shark NV360 Navigator Lift Away Upright Vacuum
- Product Dimensions: 14.37 x 11.61x 26.77 inches
- Weight: 15.96 pounds
- HEPA filter and crevice tool included
- 2 in 1 lift away upright vacuum with detachable pod
The Shark NV360 Navigator Upright Vacuum is one of the best upright vacuum cleaners that has a powerful suction and can be used on various surfaces.
It has a detachable pod and a HEPA filter which enables it to clean your floors thoroughly. This upright vacuum cleaner also has large dust bags which you can use to clean for longer periods. It’s a good appliance for deep cleaning your floors.
- You can detach the pod from the vacuum cleaner, making it best for cleaning stairs, upholstery, furniture and other surfaces
- It’s one of the upright vacuums with a HEPA filter which traps dust, pollen and pet hair, preventing it from rising into the air
- The Shark NV360 is the best upright vacuum as it has a swivel steering which helps you vacuum narrow spaces and corners
- You can easily switch off the brush roll, giving you the freedom to go from deep cleaning carpets to cleaning bare floors to using as a stair vacuum
- The Shark NV360 has a heavy weight and a bulky design amongst other upright vacuums so it can be difficult for some people to handle it
- It has several parts that need to be regularly maintained
- The brush roll can get tangled in pet hair and be difficult to remove
If you’re the kind of person that loves to do a thorough cleaning from time to time, then the Shark NV360 is definitely for you.
It’s outfitted with HEPA filters that trap 99.9% of dust and allergens, and is excellent for getting rid of dust bunnies. It’s great for use on bare floors, high pile carpet and low pile carpet. You can easily switch off the brush roll to clean different surfaces. It’s also the most affordable vacuum cleaner on this list.
Best Handheld Vacuum: Black Decker 20V Max Handheld Vacuum
- A 200 degree pivoting nozzle with an extendable crevice tool
- Large washable dirt bowl, filter and brush
- Battery size: 20V MAX lithium ion battery
- Convenient charging base
- Product dimensions: 18 x 6.88 x 6.75 inches
- Weight: 3 pounds
The Black Decker Vacuum is one of the best cordless vacuums and handheld vacuums in the market. Although it’s small in size, it features a superior suction and a pivoting nozzle.
- The Black Decker has a lightweight design which makes it easy to carry and use
- It has a powerful suction with a 3-stage filtration system. It also has a crevice tool and brush which makes it easy to clean tight spaces
- The pivoting nozzle helps you reach narrow spaces like under cupboards. It’s also excellent for cleaning pet hair
- The vacuum has a translucent dirt bowl that you can easily detach and wash in your sink
- It can be quite loud
- It isn’t efficient for cleaning large floors as you’d have to bend lots to use it
The Black Decker handheld cordless vacuum is an excellent vacuum for cleaning narrow spaces such as bookshelves or your car. It has a great suction strength and an easy to wash bowl. However it is not very good for large floors.
What Are the Best Vacuum Cleaners For 2022?
Of all the vacuum cleaners listed here, the best would be the Dyson v10 Allergy Cordless stick vacuum because you can use it both as a handheld vacuum and as a stick vacuum. It’s lightweight, easy to use, has great suction, and is cordless.
What Are the Best Vacuums On the Market Right Now?
There are numerous vacuum cleaners in the market, including the top five we mentioned earlier. However, the best vacuum cleaner will depend on your budget, need, and preference.
Suppose you prefer handheld vacuum cleaners, you might want to opt for the Black Decker 20V Max Handheld Vacuum. Lovers of cordless cleaners will enjoy using the Dyson v10 Allergy Cordless Stick Vacuum.
On the other hand, the Bissell 1161 Deluxe Canister Vacuum will appeal to people who prefer compact cleaners while you’ll love the Shark NV360 Navigator Lift Away Upright Vacuum if you want a standing vacuum.
Suppose you’d rather have a robot vacuum do the work for you, then the iRobot Roomba S9+ is your best bet.
What Is the Number 1 Vacuum Cleaner?
The number 1 vacuum cleaner is the Shark NV360 Navigator Lift Away Upright Vacuum. It ranks as Amazon’s choice on the website and has lots of great specifications including HEPA filter for trapping dust and pollen.
As an upright vacuum cleaner, you can swivel it to wherever you want and switch off the brush roll to change from deep cleaning to light cleaning.
What Vacuum Is Better Than a Dyson?
Although Dyson is a popular vacuum cleaner brand, there are other products that might suit your needs and budget. One great vacuum cleaner to consider is the Shark NV360 Navigator Vacuum due to the numerous benefits mentioned above. The Black Decker Max Handheld Vacuum is another option that would be worth your while and money.
That’s a wrap! The five best vacuum cleaners based on their functionality and usage. We explained what makes a cordless vacuum different from robot vacuums or canister vacuums.
Now that you know the differences between the different vacuum cleaners, consider picking the best vacuum cleaner suitable for you from the list.