Vacuum cleaners have earned a bad rap for being a noise machine that takes up so much room in the house and cost you a lot of money. However, things have changed over the past few years with the introduction of newer models and designs that include cordless vacuum cleaners, also known as handheld vac. While these offer convenience and portability, several homeowners are still opting to invest in an upright vacuum cleaner. This traditional cleaning equipment provides you with maximum efficiency and ease when cleaning large spaces in the home and for those tough cleaning jobs.
An upright vacuum cleaner is what you would picture in your head when you think of vacuum cleaners. It is also known as a sweeper that utilizes an air pump responsible to create a vacuum action that will suck up dirt or dust from the floor or any other types of surfaces.
If you are in the market for the best upright vacuum cleaner, you have come to the right place. Discover the key features that you should be looking for in an upright vacuum cleaner and the models that are available for you to choose from.
Check Out: Best Vacuum Cleaner Review
- Buyer’s Guide to Best Upright Vacuum Cleaners
- Top 10 Best Upright Vacuum Cleaners Review
- 10. Bissell 9595A Vacuum with OnePass – Corded
- 9. Shark Rotator Professional Lift-Away (NV501)
- 8. Hoover Vacuum Cleaner Spring Quick Vac Bagless Lightweight Corded Upright UH20040
- 7. Shark Navigator Lift-Away Professional with Dust-Away & 2 Microfiber Pads (NV356E)
- 6. Oreck Commercial XL2100RHS 8 Pound Commercial Upright Vacuum, Blue
- 5. Hoover Vacuum Cleaner WindTunnel T-Series Rewind Plus Bagless Lightweight Corded Upright UH70120
- 4. Dyson 206900-01 Ball Multi Floor Upright Corded Vacuum, Yellow and Iron
- 3. Dirt Devil Vacuum Cleaner Quick Lite Plus Bagless Corded Upright Vacuum UD20015
- 2. Bissell Aeroswift Compact Bagless Upright Vacuum, 1009-Corded
- 1. Bissell CleanView Bagless Upright Vacuum with OnePass Technology, 1330 – Corded
- Check Out Other Types of Vacuum Cleaner
Buyer’s Guide to Best Upright Vacuum Cleaners
When looking for the best upright vacuum cleaner, you will be overwhelmed with many options. Each one carries their own set of features that make them appealing to consumers. But when evaluating these features, only a few matter and they are discussed below:
- Is it bagged or bagless upright vacuum cleaner? There are two varieties that you have to choose from when it comes to buying upright vacuum cleaners: bagged or bagless. The bag refers to the canister or cup that is holding the dust or dirt that you have collected from your home. Some of the newer models today use the bagless design since it is simpler in design and easier to empty.
- How wide is the cleaning path? Since the bulkiness of the standard upright vacuum cleaner is one of the main issues you have to deal with its use, finding the right width is crucial. Most models in the market come with a 15-inch cleaning path. This should be adequate for use even on small homes or apartments. There will be certain limitations when cleaning, which is why most upright vacuum cleaners come with a hose or other attachment to access tighter spaces.
- Do you need HEPA Filter? For some, this is not necessary but experts would recommend choosing one with this feature over another that does not have it. This is crucial for protecting the air quality within your home. This is important if someone in your family has asthma or allergies.
While the above features are important when comparing the best upright vacuum cleaner, other features that are optional (and could be chosen based on personal preference) include dirt sensors and a self-propelled motor. If noise is an issue, choose models that have been designed to operate quietly.
Top 10 Best Upright Vacuum Cleaners Review
10. Bissell 9595A Vacuum with OnePass – Corded
The Bissell 9595A Vacuum with OnePass is an upright vacuum cleaner that makes cleaning your home feel less of a chore. It features an innovative OnePass technology that cleans everything it passes on once with ease and efficiency. It also boasts of having powerful suction so you won’t have to clean the same area twice! It saves you time and effort when cleaning, so you can get on with the other household chores, rather than spending your entire day vacuuming.
9. Shark Rotator Professional Lift-Away (NV501)
The Shark Rotator Professional Lift-Away upright vacuum cleaner is a 2-in-1 cleaning tool. It is primarily an upright vacuum cleaner but comes with a detachable canister that easily transforms it into a portable cleaning tool. It also features several attachments and tools to increase functionality and to reach more areas for cleaning. And if you care about the health and welfare of your family, you would be delighted with its HEPA filtration system that can trap allergens and dust to keep them away from your family.
8. Hoover Vacuum Cleaner Spring Quick Vac Bagless Lightweight Corded Upright UH20040
The Hoover Spring Quick Vac Bagless and Corded Upright Vacuum Cleaner is an upright vacuum cleaner with a compact and lightweight design. In fact, it weighs a lot like many of the cordless vacuum cleaners in the market today. It is also designed with the Multi-Cyclonic technology that segregates fine particles before it goes to the filter, which means less cleaning of the filter required for its maintenance. It also comes with a cleaning wand that enables you to reach up to 7 feet of height – making it ideal tool for cleaning curtains and ceilings. Meanwhile, the power cord can reach up to 23 feet long so you won’t have to worry about re-plugging while you are cleaning as you can cover more ground.
The Shark Navigator Lift-Away Professional Vacuum Cleaner is a good all-around tool to have at home. You can use it in a traditional upright design for hard wood cleaning and tough jobs. But with a button push, you can detach the canister so you can enjoy the portability of a handheld vacuum cleaner. This innovative design allows you to clean those areas that a standard upright vacuum cleaner won’t be able to reach.
The biggest advantage that you can enjoy with Shark Navigator Lift-Away Professional Vacuum Cleaner is the HEPA filter. It traps dust and allergens to keep them from escaping the vacuum. Hence, it is not only a tool designed to clean your home but also to improve air quality.
6. Oreck Commercial XL2100RHS 8 Pound Commercial Upright Vacuum, Blue
The Oreck XL2100RHS 8-lb commercial upright vacuum cleaner will transform the way you clean at home. As the name implies, it is a commercial design and quality at a reasonable price. Oreck is a brand known for producing powerful cleaners in the USA. And this vacuum cleaner upholds that tradition.
It starts with the Microsweep technology that effectively cleans all types of dirt from various types of floors. It features side edge brushes so you can maximize cleaning on corners and make sure you won’t miss a spot. Other furniture-friendly design include the non-marring bumpers and use of crevice tools.
5. Hoover Vacuum Cleaner WindTunnel T-Series Rewind Plus Bagless Lightweight Corded Upright UH70120
The Hoover Vacuum Cleaner WindTunnel T-Series Rewind Plus is a lightweight and compact upright vacuum cleaner. It boasts of the WindTunnel technology that gives a lot of suction power to this unit. When paired with the adjustable brushroll capacity, you can get more cleaning power no matter how tough the dirt or grit might be.
In addition, the Hoover Vacuum Cleaner WindTunnel T-Series Rewind Plus offers several cleaning accessories to suit the job you require. You can use the stretch hose to clean areas that you cannot take your upright vacuum cleaner into, such as on the stairs or under the furniture. For those tight spaces that the hose wouldn’t fit into, you can use the crevice tool. Meanwhile, a dusting brush is available to gently but effectively clean upholstery, curtains or furniture.
4. Dyson 206900-01 Ball Multi Floor Upright Corded Vacuum, Yellow and Iron
The Dyson Ball Multi Floor Upright Corded Vacuum is an innovative product that will make vacuum cleaning easier than you thought. The most distinctive feature is the ball cleaner head that can swerve or twist to different directions so you won’t have to. It can be difficult to clean certain areas of your home without moving furniture. With this tool, you no longer have to move things around because it will get to that place and clean it for you.
Aside from the convenience of reaching difficult spots, you can also get a wand attachment that will allow you to reach the ceiling or other higher places you cannot reach on your own. Meanwhile, the HEPA filtration system locks in dust particles and allergens to keep it from polluting the air inside your home.
3. Dirt Devil Vacuum Cleaner Quick Lite Plus Bagless Corded Upright Vacuum UD20015
The Dirt Devil Quick Lite Plus Bagless Upright Vacuum Cleaner is a lightweight but powerful machine. With a wide cleaning path, you can clean more area in less time. Another convenient tool that is included with this upright vacuum cleaner is an 8-feet stretch hose. It enables you to extend your vacuuming reach and ensure all parts of your house is cleaned.
The HEPA Media Filtration system is another excellent feature offered by this upright vacuum cleaner. It helps to lock in any dust particles you’ve vacuumed so they won’t be released back into the air, which could expose your family to various types of allergens.
2. Bissell Aeroswift Compact Bagless Upright Vacuum, 1009-Corded
The Bissell Aeroswift Compact Upright Vacuum Cleaner allows you to clean more spaces. With a wide cleaning path and up to 30 feet in power cord, you can extend your cleaning reach with this tool. It is designed to be compact but with the efficiency and power of a full-sized upright vacuum cleaner. The Cyclonic Technology featured with this vacuum cleaner absorbs more dust and dirt while also maintaining the cleanliness of the filter (which ensures it does not lose suction power). It is also equipped with all of the essential tools and attachment that will handle all types of cleaning job, whether it be dust, dirt or grit.
1. Bissell CleanView Bagless Upright Vacuum with OnePass Technology, 1330 – Corded
The Bissell CleanView OnePass Upright Vacuum is an affordable solution for a household cleaning system. For its less than $80 price tag, you can utilize the OnePass technology that Bissell vacuum cleaners are known for. This is made possible with the innovative brush design and powerful suction that allows you to pick up dirt or dust within the initial pass. It is also coupled by the multi-level filtration system that prevents collected dirt from escaping back into your home when you vacuum. Hence, your house is clean and free from airborne allergens that can harm your family.
Check Out Other Types of Vacuum Cleaner
Upright vacuum cleaners cost more than their handheld counterparts. This requires that you need to be more thorough when examining features of top upright vacuum cleaner models in the market. This is the only way you can be sure that you have invested in the best vacuum cleaner that can get the job done while offering you good value for money. The choices listed above have been carefully selected to offer the best that the market has today. You can therefore take your pick based on what suits your budget and your cleaning requirements at home.
If, however, you decide that an upright vacuum cleaner is not for you, check out the below for alternative options: