The use of fabric softener and conditioner is prevalent for many years now. Since its introduction in the market, it has become one of the laundry staples in different parts of the world. Even if there are many debates on the need of using a fabric softener and conditioner, most people still use this laundry agent for different reasons. Some of these reasons include:
- Softness of the fabric – Rinsing your clothes with a fabric softener will give them the level of softness that your skin will benefit from.
- Fragrance – Some scents of fabric softener and conditioner can uplift the mood and emotions. The scent coming from what we wear can help us relax and happy. This is one of the reasons why many people use fabric softeners with their clothes.
- Reduce friction between fibers – Because of the softness that fabric softeners bring, the fibers tend to rub less against each other, giving the fabric of your clothes a softer feel and maintains their brand new look for a long time.
- Odor and bacteria control – Especially for bath towels, which are used daily and are oftentimes left to dry in humid conditions, fabric softeners not only give them fresh aroma but also prevent the growth of bacteria.
- Anti-wrinkle and anti-static – Fabric softeners prevent the fabric of your clothes from sticking together, reducing static. They also prevent wrinkles and keep certain fabrics from creasing easily.
- Makes color lasts – It doesn’t just give your clothes long-lasting fragrance. Fabric softeners also maintain your clothes’ color, making them look new and bright.
- Fast drying – Because fabric softeners reduce the amount of water in your laundry after spinning, it will be easier for your clothes to dry even under a shade.
- Buyer’s Guide to the Best Fabric Softener
- Two types of Fabric Softener and Conditioner
- Top 5 Best Fabric Softeners
- 5. Ultra Downy Infusions Lavender Serenity Liquid Fabric Softener and Conditioner 103 FL Oz
- 4. Ultra Downy Infusions Honey Flower Liquid Fabric Softener and Conditioner 41 FL Oz
- 3. Bounce Outdoor Fresh Dryer Sheets and Fabric Softener, 240 Count
- 2. Ultra Downy April Fresh Liquid Fabric Softener and Conditioner 103 Fl oz.
- 1. Snuggle Plus Super Fresh Fabric Softener with Odor Eliminating Technology, 95 Ounce
Buyer’s Guide to the Best Fabric Softener
Choosing the right fabric softener and conditioner for your clothes can be a bit tricky. There are many things that you must consider when looking for the right brand for your garments, bed sheets, curtains, and towels.
Two types of Fabric Softener and Conditioner
Most fabric softeners and conditioners are in liquid form. However, many people today are also using dryer sheets to keep their clothes and other garments fresh. If you look closely between these two different types of fabric softener, you will know when and how to use each one with your laundry.
- Liquid fabric softener and conditioner – This type of fabric softener works in the washing machine. This is used by putting some liquid to the fabric softener compartment during the final rinse cycle. But, you must be careful not to spill directly on clothes since some fabric softener can stain light-colored clothing when not handled properly.
You can usually use this kind of fabric softener on clothes and garments that aren’t normally placed in a dryer. Undergarments and other delicate loads are infused with this softener and line-dried. Towels and microfibers aren’t recommended to be rinsed with liquid fabric softener since the fibers will soften too much, making them less absorbent.
- Dryer sheet fabric softener and conditioner – This kind of fabric softener works in the dryer. By simply adding the sheet in the dryer with a single load of laundry, your clothes will get that long-lasting freshness as they dry up. Remember to always remove dryer sheets so they don’t clog the lint trap and catch fire.
In choosing a fabric softener, it all comes down to personal needs and preferences.
- Do you want something scented or unscented?
- Do you plan to use it in the wash or dryer?
- Which brand have you tried before and trust?
- Which fabric softener you find most convenient to use?
- Are you particular about the ingredients used in a fabric softener?
But did you know that fabric softeners and conditioners aren’t just for clothes? There are other practical uses for them as well. The following are some household chores that can be done easily by using fabric softeners and conditioners. Check this out!
- Eliminating static clings on carpets – By diluting 1 cup of fabric softener with 2.5 liters of water, you can create a carpet spray that you can use to clean your carpet. Spray just enough on the carpet and leave it overnight to get the best results.
- Cleaning glass panes – Remove dust from window panels, shower doors, glass tables, and other hard surfaces with a mixture of fabric softener and water. You can expect a shiny and fresh finish!
- Remove hairspray residue from surfaces – Use a fabric softener to remove hairspray on walls, countertops, vanity and other areas where residues were left behind. The same product can be used to polish the surface with a dry cloth.
- Remove grime fast – Instead of scrubbing your pans and casseroles, simply soak them with water mixed with fabric conditioner to wipe residue easily. Wash with soap to totally remove stains and food odor.
- Clean paint brushes – Soak your paintbrushes on a can full of the water mixed with fabric softener to remove paint residue. After soaking, rinse them with water and store the brushes to dry as usual.
- Remove water stains – Use an undiluted liquid fabric softener to remove water stains. Soak the stains with the pure content for 10 minutes and simply wipe away the stain with a damp cloth.
- Remove old wallpaper – One amazing use of fabric softeners is to remove old wallpaper. By simply spraying a mixture of fabric softener and water on the wallpaper and allowing it to soak, brushing off wallpaper will be easier and faster.
Making a fabric softener and conditioner as one of your household essentials is very cost effective as this helps you save hundreds of bucks from buying totally different cleaning agents. It not only keeps your clothes soft and fresh-smelling, it will also help you keep your house clean.
Top 5 Best Fabric Softeners
5. Ultra Downy Infusions Lavender Serenity Liquid Fabric Softener and Conditioner 103 FL Oz
Ultra Downy Infusions Lavender Serenity Liquid Fabric Softener and Conditioner contains a highly concentrated mixture of floral and fruity scents that not only give your clothes that sweet freshness. It contains renewing scent pearls that can reactivate your clothes’ scent with one touch. It can reduce wrinkles on clothes as well as protect them from stretching, fading, and creasing.
4. Ultra Downy Infusions Honey Flower Liquid Fabric Softener and Conditioner 41 FL Oz
Ultra Downy Infusions Honey Flower Liquid Fabric Softener and Conditioner contains a highly concentrated mixture of fragrance that balances the sweetness of a honey and a floral bouquet. It contains renewing scent pearls that can reactivate its scent with one touch. It can reduce wrinkles on clothes as well as protects your clothes from stretching, fading, and getting fuzzy.
3. Bounce Outdoor Fresh Dryer Sheets and Fabric Softener, 240 Count
Bounce Outdoor Dryer Sheets and Fabric Softener is best for your clothes on every occasion. Just toss one sheet of Bounce Outdoor Dryer Sheet to a regular load of laundry in your dryer to experience its effectiveness in freshening up your clothes, as well as removing lint, hair, and static clings.
2. Ultra Downy April Fresh Liquid Fabric Softener and Conditioner 103 Fl oz.
Ultra Downy April Fresh Liquid Fabric Softener and Conditioner is safe for machine wash. Its ingredients include biodegradable fabric softening agents that are safe for you and your family’s clothes. It has a more concentrated content compared to the old Downy April Fresh, giving you 3x more long-lasting freshness.
1. Snuggle Plus Super Fresh Fabric Softener with Odor Eliminating Technology, 95 Ounce
Don’t just wash your clothes with soap. Rinse them with Snuggle Plus Super Fresh Fabric Softener to eliminate tough odor and to make your clothes fresh, soft and smooth. This 95-ounce bottle can freshen up clothes up to a maximum of 90 loads. The content is not too viscous or too light in consistency, which makes this fabric softener just the right agent to give your clothes the fresh scent and softness they deserve.
Check Out Other Related Products
Whatever brand of fabric softener and conditioner you choose, always take into consideration the kinds of fabric you use it with to prevent mishaps and unwanted effects on your clothes. Choose wisely.
As for other laundry-related products, you might find the following helpful:
- Laundry detergents
- Anti-static sprays